Wednesday, February 21, 2007

#15 Library 2.0

I think there has definitely been both physical and mindset changes in the library and I think the perfect example is this Learning 2.0 project. Technology has revolutionized the world and there’s no way around it: you either have to be in on these changes or consider yourself obsolete. Over the years I have worked with some people who just think the Internet is a place to read your email and while these people are secure in their positions or near retirement, this unawareness would not fly in society today if they were applying for their job. This isn’t a fad, it isn’t going to go away. I grew up with the pc and even I feel behind sometimes – the computer class I took in high school focused entirely on typing and a little time was spent on basic internet research. When my brother took the same class four years later he was learning basic coding and flash programming. The tedious typing speed and accuracy tests were long gone – everyone now assumes you know how to type.
Today’s librarians seem to be at least keeping up with technology. I believe that being a good librarian is about providing good, knowledgable, friendly, useful service to people who want information – whether it’s a rare book, a best-seller, or a research article on the internet.

No comments: